Friday, June 13, 2014

Final Watercolor Landscape

Purpose: To use and demonstrate what you learned from the watercolor exercises you did in class to create your own landscape painting



The four techniques I used in my painting were salt, gradient, masking fluid, and watercolor pencils. I used salt in the bottom left corner to give the sand texture. It didn't work as well as I had hoped, probably because my wash of paint wasn't dark enough for the salt to show up. My second technique worked much better. I used the gradient technique for the sky's reflection of the water and the mountain's reflection. Because I didn't want the darker wash to get into the white or lighter parts of the water, I used masking fluid to cover those parts. I also put it over places I wanted to paint yellow so I wouldn't paint trees onto that area. This technique worked well for me, especially when painting the water. The final technique was watercolored pencils and I thought that those worked ok. The pencils had limited colors so the green of the pencil didn't match my painting entirely. One thing I didn't like about the pencils was that you couldn't give it much texture like you could with stamping with a brush. It did work well for making the pine tree look like it has needles rather than leaves which would have been hard to get with a brush. Overall, I think the most important thing I learned from this unit is to be patient when painting because watercolors are very different from other mediums. If you make a mistake it is hard to correct it, you cannot paint over it or erase it. I think it's also important to not over work any area too much otherwise the paper gets soggy and it is even harder to correct. I enjoyed this unit very much and felt that I learned a lot about watercolor.



No comments:

Post a Comment